As a stay at home mom, I often get tired of eating “kid” food for lunch. Normally I’ll just eat off the kids’ plates, heat up some chicken nuggets, or make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for myself. Sometimes I’ll just snack my way through the day, without a REAL meal until dinnertime. I’m sure many of you SAHMs can relate!
Today, however, I decided I would made myself a scrumptious and filling lunch, that’s also super easy to make! Bonus — my youngest son loves it too! (We won’t get into my oldest son and his pickiness today).
Several months ago, I saw the Pioneer Woman make this soup on her Food Network show, and since then I have made it several times. This soup literally only uses 7 cans of ingredients, and an optional block of Velveeta cheese (although, I don’t know anyone in their right mind who would choose to opt out of the Velveeta…it’s scrumptious!). The best part? You don’t even have to drain any of the liquid out of the cans!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 can (15oz) black beans
- 1 can (15oz) pinto beans
- 1 can (15oz) kidney beans
- 1 can (15oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (10oz) diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Ro*tel)
- 1 can (15oz) southwest corn (or fiesta style corn)
- 1 can (15oz) no bean chili
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese (optional…but not really)
Add all the beans to a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Remember not to drain any of the cans! Just pour the whole thing in, liquid and all.
Add tomatoes and corn,
and the can of chili. The chili gives the soup a nice kick.
Stir all the ingredients together and add salt to taste. Cover, reduce to simmer, and let it cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cut up the Velveeta into cubes, and add it to the soup.
Stir the cheese into the soup until it’s all melted and wonderful.
Then, ladle yourself up a big bowl of deliciousness!
How good does that look? And it’s super filling too! The perfect soup for a cold, dreary day.
Here’s my little Oliver with his bowl of soup. That bib didn’t stay on long, and now he has soup on his shirt. Oh well. 🙂
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can southwest corn (or fiesta style)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can no bean chili
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese
- Open all cans and add contents (including liquid) to a large pot over medium heat. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cut cheese into cubes and stir into the soup until melted. Serve and enjoy!